Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ski Gear

I’ve gotten a couple of questions about the ski equipment down here, so I thought I’d post a couple of pictures. When I got down here it took me a while to find the ski barn, but when I found it, there was a lot of gear to choose from.
Inside the ski barn.
The skis and boots are split between older back-country gear and newer entry-level gear from Fischer. Among the newer stuff are a few pairs of skate skis, but the vast majority of the skis are classic, with fish scales. Probably for the best. The first time I tried skating down here, I just about fell on my face because the snow is so sharp and grabby. So, I ended up just striding on the skate skis.
From L to R: Karhu Pavos, Fischer BC Country Crowns,
Fischer Challengers, Swix AluTeam poles

I ended up picking out one of each kind of ski to try out. I haven’t tried the Karhu Pavos yet, but I actually like classic skiing on the Fischer skates better that the Fischer classics, mainly because they are a little fast, and since they don’t have fish scales, they are a little quieter, plus, if I find a particularly fast patch of snow, I can throw in a little bit of skating.
On my last ski, I finally got my camera to stay warm enough to take a couple of pictures. It helped that it was only about –30F, rather than –50F.
At the geographic South Pole

The ceremonial South Pole

The South Pole, with the telescopes in the background

3 comments:

  1. Enjoying your Blog very much. q. What time zone are you in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in New Zealand Daylight Time here. I think of it as Minnesota being 5 hrs, well 6 hrs with the time change last weekend, ahead, but yesterday.

      Delete
  2. You are in a unique position to claim a world record of some sort. Examples :
    Create the only ski race to cross all time zones (probably need at least one other person to call it a race)
    Coldest ski race.
    If it hits -100 measure your pace on a small loop for a few minutes and claim: "Fastest sustained speed on xc-ski's at colder than -100.

    Something along those lines.

    RV

    ReplyDelete