Friday, February 3, 2012

PQ'd!

So, its official. I am physically qualified (PQ'd) and just waiting for my final itinerary.
I got to Denver Wednesday afternoon, got my rental car and got to the hotel without getting too lost. I haven't done a whole lot of traveling on my own, so my biggest worry on this leg of my trip was not being able to find my way. My phone was quite helpful in keeping me headed in the right direction.

First thing yesterday morning, I headed out to my first appointment. It was a chest x-ray and gallbladder ultrasound, which meant no breakfast. Not my favorite way to start the day. The appointment was fine, and the people there have seen a number of folks headed to one pole or the other. That has actually been true for all of my appointments here. Anyways, afterwards I picked up breakfast and ate it at a park on the way to my physical. I was immediately accosted by a flock of geese who were very interested in my croissant.
One of about 20 geese wanting a piece of my food.
I successfully defended myself without loosing much of my breakfast.

The physical went well pretty well, too. The EKG took a while though, because the sticky tabs would not stick to my skin. We got it eventually. Then onto the dentist.
Ridiculous view from the dentist's office.
Note the lack of snow. The only snow I'd seen up to this point was the stuff on the mountain tops in the distance, and a few small piles in parking lots. Nothing on the ground. 

Got a call last night from Audra, my contractor at Raytheon, saying that I had passed the medical portion. She also gave me permission to call a cab in the morning to get to my psych appointment because a huge snow storm was blowing in. Good timing, huh?

This morning there were 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground, with snow still falling. The roads didn't look too bad, though, so I drove myself over. 
View from my hotel room this afternoon.
The test portion of the exam was long, about 600 True/False or similar questions. Some of them were really weird. The interview portion was basically asking me about my general history and experience, not really what I expected out of a psych exam.

And now, here I am. I got cleared to travel about an hour ago. The preliminary itinerary they sent me, has me leaving for LA tomorrow at 7pm, then to NZ at about 11pm. I'll get there sometime on Monday.

Wish me luck.

4 comments:

  1. congradulations to you for doing so well. May God be with the weather forecasters and may the snow not get too deep. Enjoy your flight down south and keep us posted. Your Uncle Jim, cousin James and I are all excited for you. I gave James your email address so hopefully he will keep in touch too. Enjoy! Enjoy! Gather plenty of material for your master's and doctorate. Aunt Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate any kind of psych test. My standard answer is, "I don't know, it depends!" Good luck on the flight. If you're not crazy now, you might be by the time you get there from being stuck on a plane that long! At least you have something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck Kathleen. I plan to follow your 'tour of duty' in the South Pole and look forward to learning just how one goes about doing such a thing. Thanks so much for guiding me and others in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area last week. I so miss the wildnerness already!
    Patty Tanji, Eagan, Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  4. woot! Nice start to an exciting journey! What kind of EKG electrodes are they using over there?? The ones I've played with here sometimes get so stuck to you that you have a reminder of where they've been placed for a few days! All the best lady!!

    ReplyDelete